New Google Maps

 

I am testing The new Google Maps. I sure do like them so far. They have the poi on the map and not on the side. Still discovering stuff...

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Maps

Is there a link to the new map or is it in google maps?

--
johnm405 660 & MSS&T

Just

Just go to Google Maps and there is a link there where you ask to be "invited" to use the new version. Didn't we go through this "invited" stuff years ago with Google Mail?

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

I don't remember how, email or popup

Something asked me to try it.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

demo video and invite request link

johnm405 wrote:

Is there a link to the new map or is it in google maps?

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/helloworld/desktop/preview/

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Invite request link appeared on my google map

rjrsw wrote:
johnm405 wrote:

Is there a link to the new map or is it in google maps?

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/helloworld/desktop/preview/

The invite request link appeared on the left side of my google map page. I clicked, requested and a couple of days later the new map became my default. There is an option to revert back to the "classic" map in my settings.

I like the appearance of the new map.

new maps

love the new appearance

Sounds like

sailornorm wrote:
rjrsw wrote:
johnm405 wrote:

Is there a link to the new map or is it in google maps?

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/helloworld/desktop/preview/

The invite request link appeared on the left side of my google map page. I clicked, requested and a couple of days later the new map became my default. There is an option to revert back to the "classic" map in my settings.

I like the appearance of the new map.

That sounds like what I did. Am getting old and can't remember anything anymore.smile
I do like the new map so far but I have IE and it tells me I need Chrome (Google) to see buildings in 3D and etc... I have been thinking about trying Chrome as I have it on my Nexus 7 and like it.

Any ideas about changing to Chrome?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Send to GPS

I am on IE and could not find how to send to GPS on the New Google Maps. Must be a Chrome thing.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

use both chrome and IE 10

I use both chrome and IE 10 but find I prefer IE for most every day uses.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Thanks

rjrsw wrote:

I use both chrome and IE 10 but find I prefer IE for most every day uses.

I can just install Chrome and not uninstall IE?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

~

mgarledge wrote:

I can just install Chrome and not uninstall IE?

Yes

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

You

You can just install Chrome and use it. There is no need to uninstall IE, even if you could. When you install Chrome it will want to be your default browser which you can agree to or not. If you do, and find later that you'd rather use IE as the default, there is an option in IE to make it so.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Thanks

Will do...

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

3D

mgarledge wrote:

...I do like the new map so far but I have IE and it tells me I need Chrome (Google) to see buildings in 3D and etc...

My stereoscopic vision doesn't work, so 3D effects don't work for me. The 3D buildings in Google Earth or Google Maps aren't really that impressive.

It's most painful at the movies because they charge $3 - $5 more for those glasses and all they do is take the fuzzy tone off the screen razz

3D

mgarledge wrote:

...I do like the new map so far but I have IE and it tells me I need Chrome (Google) to see buildings in 3D and etc...

My stereoscopic vision doesn't work, so 3D effects don't work for me. The 3D buildings in Google Earth or Google Maps aren't really that impressive.

It's most painful at the movies because they charge $3 - $5 more for those glasses and all they do is take the fuzzy tone off the screen razz

OK, now what?

About 2 days ago I asked for an invite and is supposed to be sent to my Gmail address. So far, NADA!

This is what I get when I go to the Google map site.

It looks like you've already
requested an invite.

Hang tight, we'll send you an email soon.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Waiting

Melaqueman wrote:

OK, Now What?

About 2 days ago I asked for an invite and is supposed to be sent to my Gmail address. So far, NADA!

This is what I get when I go to the Google map site.

It looks like you've already
requested an invite.

Hang tight, we'll send you an email soon.

For the NSA to clear you for access. razz

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

Ah man

kch50428 wrote:

For the NSA to clear you for access. razz

Ah man, I never get invited to anything and if the NSA is checking me out I probably will never get access to the new Google Maps because I'm Canadian. shock

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

several days

Melaqueman wrote:

About 2 days ago I asked for an invite and is supposed to be sent to my Gmail address. So far, NADA!

This is what I get when I go to the Google map site.

It looks like you've already
requested an invite.

Hang tight, we'll send you an email soon.

The invite took several days to get.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thanks!

Just requested an invite.

Thanks for the info!

--
Wait a minute... who am I here?

mgarledge wrote: I am

mgarledge wrote:

I am testing The new Google Maps. I sure do like them so far. They have the poi on the map and not on the side. Still discovering stuff...

Got the invite myself and it is amazing. Love it.

Took Longer Then I Thought

mgarledge wrote:
Melaqueman wrote:

About 2 days ago I asked for an invite and is supposed to be sent to my Gmail address. So far, NADA!

This is what I get when I go to the Google map site.

It looks like you've already
requested an invite.

Hang tight, we'll send you an email soon.

The invite took several days to get.

I thought mine got lost, because it took so long. (less than a week) We get so used to a turn around of minutes that a couple of days throws us.

Waze

Interesting how this came out now 'cause I believe Google is buying out Waze so I'm sure if they implement that technology, I'll bet the UI is going to change again (although maybe a different layout just for the mobile app only?). To be seen...

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Got mine.

Today, one day later.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Thanks for info.....Just

Thanks for info.....Just requested the invite

Thanks for the link

I just requested an invite.

Does It Work With Firefox

I still use IE8 as my default browser. I do find an increasing number of sites don't like IE8. In those cases I use Mozilla Firefox as an alternate browser.

Has anybody tried Firefox with the new Google Maps and confirm all features work properly?

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Firefox is Supported

Took it for a quick spin on Firefox and seems OK.

System requirements

http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=16...

While Google Maps may work for other browsers, we encourage using the latest version of your favorite:

Internet Explorer (for Windows)
Firefox (for Windows, Mac, and Linux)
Safari (for Mac and Windows)
Google Chrome (for Windows and Mac)

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

Looking Up Coordinates

At the moment, there is currently no way of directly obtaining coordinates for a point. Right-clicking on the map will display either the nearest street address or street number range. Remember, the new Google Maps product is still in early beta... smile

This Google Groups entry explains how to get approximate map coordinates: - http://goo.gl/bls20

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

Thanks WAASup

WAASup wrote:

At the moment, there is currently no way of directly obtaining coordinates for a point. Right-clicking on the map will display either the nearest street address or street number range. Remember, the new Google Maps product is still in early beta... smile

This Google Groups entry explains how to get approximate map coordinates: - http://goo.gl/bls20

Appreciate the confirmation that Firefox works.
I'll give it a try when I receive my invite request confirmation. Not being able to get coordinates is a negative, but as you mentioned it's still in beta stage.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Why haven't you updated to IE 10?

muell9k wrote:

I still use IE8 as my default browser. I do find an increasing number of sites don't like IE8.

Why haven't you updated to IE 10?

Haven't used IE8 since IE9 became available.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Maybe XP

rjrsw wrote:
muell9k wrote:

I still use IE8 as my default browser. I do find an increasing number of sites don't like IE8.

Why haven't you updated to IE 10?

Haven't used IE8 since IE9 became available.

IE8 is still the latest and greatest for Windows XP. I'm not sure about which IE version Vista folks can use as well.

Vista IE 9

My Vista Home Premium 64 runs IE 9. I don't really have many problems with it.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Still looking

Has any one found a way, using IE, to send to GPS?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

New Google Maps

Tried it with Firefox...all worked well..

I was unable to:
add waypoint in the middle of the route for a stop...
Right click (What's here) for GPS co-ordinates is missing...could not find anywhere to locate GPS co-ordinates... would miss this feature for copying to BaseCamp/MapSource ...

at this point ... I ask for my classic google to return...

--
DGN MTF, IBA, MOA, BMW 1200GSA My picture...I was doing a charity ride in Georgia, got my picture with my bike and mural required...then a nice lady ask if she could take my picture...I agreed...when I downloaded this is what I got... just call me M

not seeing the advantage yet

I got my invitation in perhaps a day or two. I've just clicked and browsed around a little, and so far don't spot the obvious advantages, and have some trouble finding ways to do things I could do before.

For example: how do I get into Street View? Or is that not offered yet?

--
personal GPS user since 1992

Still using XP.

CraigW wrote:
rjrsw wrote:
muell9k wrote:

I still use IE8 as my default browser. I do find an increasing number of sites don't like IE8.

Why haven't you updated to IE 10?

Haven't used IE8 since IE9 became available.

IE8 is still the latest and greatest for Windows XP. I'm not sure about which IE version Vista folks can use as well.

I am using XP and intend to do so until April 2014 when it is no longer supported. I don't need all the bells and whistles that are available in Windows 7 and 8. I like things simple and XP meets my needs without all the extra baggage.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

.

archae86 wrote:

how do I get into Street View? Or is that not offered yet?

Have you taken the tour? (Help & Feedback, Take a Tour)
It's explained there...

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

No 8 For Me

muell9k wrote:
CraigW wrote:
rjrsw wrote:
muell9k wrote:

I still use IE8 as my default browser. I do find an increasing number of sites don't like IE8.

Why haven't you updated to IE 10?

Haven't used IE8 since IE9 became available.

IE8 is still the latest and greatest for Windows XP. I'm not sure about which IE version Vista folks can use as well.

I am using XP and intend to do so until April 2014 when it is no longer supported. I don't need all the bells and whistles that are available in Windows 7 and 8. I like things simple and XP meets my needs without all the extra baggage.

I held onto XP for a long time too but finally had to switch to 7 when the old hardware failed and I find it to be a lot better than XP was. I've also used 8 and found that to me a nightmare. MS really jumped the gun by introducing this tablet design. Removing the Start button is just crazy IMO but they did. I know you can d/l 3rd party apps to bring it back but no way of doing it out of the box.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Windows 8.1 is going to

Windows 8.1 is going to reintroduce the start button as well as make it possible to boot instantly to the desktop. The start button however still defaults to the Metro UI when called up.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

New Google Maps

My wife bought a new lap top last week with Windows 8 and she has a start button on the keyboard and she can also have it on the monitor. Don't understand the problem about the start button.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD

The problem is that most

The problem is that most features of Windows 8 are difficult if not impossible to access with a mouse or touchpad. Start menu replacements alleviate this problem.

If the new laptop has a touchscreen, then you likely won't have issues. Although, in my case I have a Dell XPS 18 tablet and still use a start menu replacement.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

IE 8 vs Mozilla Firefox

Personally I prefer Firefox over IE of any flavor. Firefox has all sorts of tiny applicatiions you can add such as a one button email check for ALL of your email accounts, weather for 2 different locations on the menu and status bars and many more neat little features.

As for the new Google Maps, I really can not see much difference in it from Google Earth Pro. Google maps for instance shows me a 1 year old toll road in Mexico as just a super imposed line and just a thin line zoomed in. Google Earth by comparison shows the actual road complete with the toll plaza very visible when zoomed in to it.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

I also prefer Firefox but

I also prefer Firefox but have had to let it go. With android tablets you have to have a way to syn bookmarks etc from computer to tablet and back from tablet to computer. Even though Firefox has a nice syn set up. The Android browser for Firefox comes up short. In the past you could select some add on to fix the short comings but now they don't work. Also Firefox on PC has some problems with Windows 8.Google seems to be the top one to do the many things from computer to android tablets. You will find many work a rounds but they just don't match Google convenience. Dolphin browser for Android has even set up now to syn with Google Chrome. Sure Firefox and others will catch up in the near future. I tried my best to stay with Firefox but had to go to Chrome.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

IE, just say NO

IE is blocked at the firewall in all of my computers. That way if anything tries to force it to start to connect home, it never does (and, yes, I have caught some programs doing that). Between Firefox and Chrome I've been able to run without IE just fine. I did have one issue in about the past 17 years, my bank insisted on IE for their on-line banking application, wouldn't use Firefox. I contacted them and asked why they insisted that I use the most insecure browser for access to my most secure information. They hemmed and hawed but didn't have a good answer. Problem was easily resolved though, my new bank didn't insist on IE and paid better interest.