Nuvi2597

 

Just got the Garmin Nuvi 2597.Maybe someone can answer this question for me. I am running Windows 8 and when I connect the 2597 to the computer I don't get the icon on lower right of screen for the safe dis-connect. When I click My Computer the drive shows and I can do all the things like before with the Nuvi 265 such as accessing the files .The safe dis-connect icon shows for the 265.The manual doesn't go into detail about it.Anyone came across this?

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

2597

After more research found this.

What is MTP mode and which automotive devices use it?

02/06/2013 Some automotive devices use Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) for connecting to your computer. MTP provides a more secure environment for the important system files on your device.

MTP connectivity requires the following:

Windows XP with service pack 3 or later Windows Media Player 11 or later

The following devices use MTP mode:

nuvi 2405 series nuvi 2407 series nuvi 2505 series nuvi 2507 series nuvi 2707 series nuvi 3400 series nuvi 3500 series nuvi 3507 series zumo 350 dezl 760

If the above system requirements are not met, or you are using the device on a Mac, the device will connect to the computer using standard mass storage mode instead of MTP mode.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

"Safe to disconnect" icon not on newer Garmin GPS's

I called Garmin about this. They said I would not get the "Safe to Disconnect" icon on the newer GPS's. That TECHIE person said it was OK to just pull out the cable...no problem. This is due to the device recognized differently now. (mine is recognized as a Portable Device).
I have done this many times without a problem. Yeah, it would be nice if Garmin would tell you that in a supplemental sheet or somehow.

I still get the icon when using the old 755T.

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back. I felt a little uneasy disconnecting with out the safe to disconnect icon.

These unit settings are located different then my 265. A little learning cure now. So far I like the features. Voice commands seem to work pretty good so far.Voices sound sharper. Don't like the double screen you now have to agree to now.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

MTP auto-detect mode

genedehart wrote:

... it was OK to just pull out the cable...no problem. This is due to the device recognized differently now. (mine is recognized as a Portable Device).
I have done this many times without a problem...

Same here. I found that I actually like it. I switch it over to mass-storage mode, one session when I need to.

One of the good things about the MTP-auto-detect mode is that you cannot format the connected storage devices. Neither can you display the hidden and system files. This prevents the critical files from being erased accidentally.

mass storage

Pillowcase wrote:
genedehart wrote:

... it was OK to just pull out the cable...no problem. This is due to the device recognized differently now. (mine is recognized as a Portable Device).
I have done this many times without a problem...

Same here. I found that I arctually like it. I switch it over to mass-storage mode, one session when I need to.

One of the good things about the MTP-auto-detect mode is that you cannot format the connected storage devices. Neither can you display the hidden and system files. This prevents the critical files from being erased accidentally.

How did you switch over to mass storage mode?

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Don't know about this model,

Don't know about this model, but the setting is in the hidden Developer's menu on most models. Changing the nüvi from MTP to MSC/UMS will allow a complete backup of the system files on the device. MTP hides the system files.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

To access the hidden Developer's menu

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

... the setting is in the hidden Developer's menu on most models. Changing the nüvi from MTP to MSC/UMS will allow a complete backup of the system files on the device. MTP hides the system files.

One way to do this in the 2495 is to bring up the mater volume control screen. Press the upper right corner of the screen for ~10 sec to bring out the hidden menu. Scroll to the next screen and select the MTP settings to switch among:

MTP auto Detect
Mass Storage
Mass Storage Single Session

MTP setting

Pillowcase wrote:
Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

... the setting is in the hidden Developer's menu on most models. Changing the nüvi from MTP to MSC/UMS will allow a complete backup of the system files on the device. MTP hides the system files.

One way to do this in the 2495 is to bring up the mater volume control screen. Press the upper right corner of the screen for ~10 sec to bring out the hidden menu. Scroll to the next screen and select the MTP settings to switch among:

MTP auto Detect
Mass Storage
Mass Storage Single Session

That setting is not showing on the 2597 as far as can see.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Bummer

Bummer

Mapsource no go on favorites.

It still seems to have all the things I could do in mass storage.One thing I did find out.Transferring favorites using Mapsource is a no go.Will not find the gps. Basecamp will find the device and receive and transfer favorites.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

MTP settings

charlesd45 wrote:
Pillowcase wrote:
Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

... the setting is in the hidden Developer's menu on most models. Changing the nüvi from MTP to MSC/UMS will allow a complete backup of the system files on the device. MTP hides the system files.

One way to do this in the 2495 is to bring up the mater volume control screen. Press the upper right corner of the screen for ~10 sec to bring out the hidden menu. Scroll to the next screen and select the MTP settings to switch among:

MTP auto Detect
Mass Storage
Mass Storage Single Session

That setting is not showing on the 2597 as far as can see.

Stopped by a local Bestbuy and played with the 2597 on display there. I found that the MTP settings entry is still there. The hidden menu on the xxx7 series has three screenful of menu entries (the 24x5 series has two). The MTP settings entry is now the top entry of the third screen.

Here

Here is how to get the Nuvi into USB mode from MTP on the new models:

1. Start NUVI and tap the Volume icon on main screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of the Volume screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS (2 down arrow taps)
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Save the change and now when you connect to Nuvi to your computer it will be seen as a USB device.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Thanks to both of you. I

Thanks to both of you. I found it pretty easy from the volume control.This needs to be added to the FAQ please submit it.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Easy way to change

Easy way to change MTP.
Press view map
Press speed
Press and hold speedometer
Scroll down to MTP on the new screen and press it for the options.