Garmin Express now can install map updates to computer

 

Hopefully, this hasn't already been mentioned. If so, I just missed it. I don't use Garmin Express right now but from this Garmin faq below, it certainly appears that the new Garmin Express can finally install map updates to a computer. Hopefully the computer installation can be seen by the computer's Mapsource or BaseCamp software.

The faq shows how Garmin Express can install all of a map update to the computer, then let MapInstall transfer the missing portions of the map update on your GPS update to the device's SD card which is useful for those devices that aren't offered auto-SD-map updates.

Details:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a209e880-9319-11e2-65d0-000000000000}

In addition to putting map updates on a computer, this faq is intended for the following GPS series:

◦zumo 400/500/605 series
◦nuvi 300 series
◦nuvi 500 series
◦nuvi 5000
◦nuvi 600 series
◦nuvi 800/805 series
◦StreetPilot series

If someone tries this, can you let us know if the Garmin-Express-installed map is seen by Mapsource and BaseCamp? Thanx.

Of course, as long as MapUpdater software continues to be available, it also allows--and has for a very long time allowed--map updates to be installed to a computer meaning that Garmin Express can continue to be avoided if that's your wish for now.

>

Yep was mentioned. I did the last map update with express. Tried to do both of my units at the same time...didn't work. But it didn't d/l the map again. When the 3590 was done it did the 3790 with the files already on my computer

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

How it works?

I wonder what they really mean by "install on computer". Is this install like in old days for Mapsource, so you can use maps independently from device or it is just leaving downloaded update on comp, so you can do few updates without downloading from Garmin every time? I'm asking, because BaseCamp can use maps installed for Mapsource, but it was mainly designed to work with maps from device. That's why Garmin dropped "Install to computer" option.

May somebody with Express during next update check how it works?

Too bad Garmin just doesn't

Too bad Garmin just doesn't create a package the lets you download it to your computer, install on the GPS, install on the SD card, or whatever. One simple app that does it all by selecting radio buttons or whatever.

Oh, sorry, forgot that I was talking about the great Garmin software developers. lol

too much

There have been too many posted issues with Garmin Express...

--
Garmin Drive Smart 61 NA LMT-S

Express.

I think Garmin Express has had this option from early on ... at least for the last several releases. As I recall, Motorcycle Mama posted it during the 2013.40 map update. The problem is that the option to install to the computer only shows itself IF there is insufficient storage to install the entire map. And even then, the option does not seem to be made available consistantly or relaibly across all Garmin devices.

Garmin has promised in their own software forum to make Garmin Express support the "install to computer" option in a future release before the next map update. Time will tell, but for now the best advice is to stick with Map Updater.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

And to think

alandb wrote:

I think Garmin Express has had this option from early on ... at least for the last several releases. As I recall, Motorcycle Mama posted it during the 2013.40 map update. The problem is that the option to install to the computer only shows itself IF there is insufficient storage to install the entire map. And even then, the option does not seem to be made available consistantly or relaibly across all Garmin devices...

And to think I had expected something simple and universal...silly me.

You're being too kind!

Garmin Gal wrote:

There have been too many posted issues with Garmin Express...

...'too many issues'... You're being too kind!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

>

koot wrote:
Garmin Gal wrote:

There have been too many posted issues with Garmin Express...

...'too many issues'... You're being too kind!

Lucky on my part? I have tried to fail the program in every way i could. I even tried to get it to update the last set of maps on both my units at the same time. It does allow you to do that and it does see both units when connected. It didn't do it though. Did express fail? No it didn't, because when it told me update on my 3790 failed, i just made it do it again. It did not d/l any more files. It used the files from my 3590 update which were still on my system. Done in 4 minutes or so. I've used everything garmin has thrown out there since my 255W and 765T. I just can't find anything wrong with express, other than it will not give me the large JCV file, neither will any other program for that matter.

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

And

Speed2 wrote:
koot wrote:
Garmin Gal wrote:

There have been too many posted issues with Garmin Express...

...'too many issues'... You're being too kind!

Lucky on my part? I have tried to fail the program in every way i could. I even tried to get it to update the last set of maps on both my units at the same time. It does allow you to do that and it does see both units when connected. It didn't do it though. Did express fail? No it didn't, because when it told me update on my 3790 failed, i just made it do it again. It did not d/l any more files. It used the files from my 3590 update which were still on my system. Done in 4 minutes or so. I've used everything garmin has thrown out there since my 255W and 765T. I just can't find anything wrong with express, other than it will not give me the large JCV file, neither will any other program for that matter.

And the fact it doesn't save the map files to your computer for use in Base-camp, but then I don't use Base-camp so its no big deal to Me.

--
All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players. Rush

>

d-moo70 wrote:

And the fact it doesn't save the map files to your computer for use in Base-camp, but then I don't use Base-camp so its no big deal to Me.

Webupdater would never save those files for me either. Always gave me an error if I tried to do so. I have no need to save them anyways. I have complete images of my units before I update. Base camp I do use, for my topographic maps.

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Thanks

That's great news, I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

One method

Garmin just needs to pick a map-update method and stick with it.