new & interesting places for your GPS

How about a Driving Recorder(Dashboard camera) mounted on the windshield/dashboard?

 

Last year, a Ontario man avoided the fraud successful with a Driving Recorder(Dashboard camera).

The video link is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaj0KieenW4

For it's very useful. Some driver bought and put it on windshield/dashboard.

Several days ago, a guy was pulled over by a cop. The cop checked a long time, and gave the man one ticket, reason is television operating visible to driver. But there was no DVD or TV in his car, only the Driving Recorder has a monitor.

What's the problem? Does it illegal?

And where can I mount it legally?

Some guy guess maybe for the Ontario Traffic law 78. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway if the display screen of a television, computer or other device in the motor vehicle is visible to the driver. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

No GPS either

poi2012 wrote:

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway if the display screen of a television, computer or other device in the motor vehicle is visible to the driver. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

"Other device" covers the GPS because it has a display screen. Whether it is on the windshield or dashboard isn't mentioned. If visible to the driver it is not allowed.

dobs108

GPS Exempted

dobs108 wrote:
poi2012 wrote:

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway if the display screen of a television, computer or other device in the motor vehicle is visible to the driver. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

"Other device" covers the GPS because it has a display screen. Whether it is on the windshield or dashboard isn't mentioned. If visible to the driver it is not allowed.

No, GPS units are specifically exempted:

www.drivers.com wrote:

However, there are exceptions. For example the above does not apply to :

(a) a global positioning system navigation device that has no other function than to deliver a global positioning system for navigation;

(b) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;

(c) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or

(d) instrument display screens that are used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle.

http://www.drivers.com/article/1032/

However, the "no other function" wording does suggest that dedicated GPS units are legal, while smartphones acting as GPS units are (technically) not.

--
TomTom GO 720 (for driving), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (for walking)

Puzzled

I was always confused about this law.. The screen in my Volvo can display digital TV and plays DVD's.. I guess this feature from the factory is exempt or something.. It should be a violation or something if it is in use while i'm driving..

Road Warrior

Here's the one I use:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/30472

It doesn't hinder visibility as it mounts mostly behind the rear-view mirror. No screen ... no problem.

RT

--
---------------"Internet: Don't believe half of what you read, and verify the other half."---------

Road Warrior Discontinued?

retiredtechnician wrote:

Here's the one I use:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/30472

It doesn't hinder visibility as it mounts mostly behind the rear-view mirror. No screen ... no problem.

RT

The link in the other thread is now broken. I just searched the Lorex website a couple of different ways ('warrior', 'RW2S') and got no hits. It looks like they stopped making that product.

--
TomTom GO 720 (for driving), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (for walking)

sponsored links