Arizona closing rest stops

 

Arizona is closing 13 of their 18 rest stops temporarily to save money.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/312406.php

They may close as soon as October 19th and won't reopen until at least June 2010.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

Bad news

Az trying to save some money until next driving season

--
Val - Nuvi 785t and Streetpilot C340

New Jersey has closed most

New Jersey has closed most of them on the freeways a few years ago. Most did not have washrooms to begin with, but the few that did are now closed as well.

Utah closing rest stops also

Utah has closed most of their rest areas on I-15, but sort have replaced them in conjunction with business along the way.

:(

A shame what it's coming to... the first sign of the decline for any civilization is the loss of infrastructure.

--
"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

VA Closings

VA closed many of their rest areas this summer. I had to drive through the state in August on I-81. Fast Food joints off the exits make a pretty good alternate. Unfortunately, there are some pretty long stretches with no where to stop.

--
=== Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Missouri

Fortunately, Missouri and Illinois seem to be keeping their stops open. Hope this doesn't become a nation wide trend.

--
Nuvi 255W St. Louis, Missouri

Thanks

rocknicehunter wrote:

Arizona is closing 13 of their 18 rest stops temporarily to save money.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/312406.php

They may close as soon as October 19th and won't reopen until at least June 2010.

Will be further researched and included in next update to Rest Areas Combined which should be in about 2 weeks.

sad

--
MrKenFL- "Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." NUVI 260, Nuvi 1490LMT & Nuvi 2595LMT all with 2014.4 maps !

Probably the 3 most imporant

jimmykre wrote:

VA closed many of their rest areas this summer. I had to drive through the state in August on I-81. Fast Food joints off the exits make a pretty good alternate. Unfortunately, there are some pretty long stretches with no where to stop.

My wive and i like to take a lot of day trips on the weekends. Probably the 3 most important files I have on the Garmin are 1. Rest Area, 2. Sheetz, and 3. McDonalds. They all usually have clean restrooms.

As we are both "Seniors" and the kids have long ago moved out of the house we refer to Mickey D's as McWee-Wee because they are a potty stop.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Rest areas

I have heard nothing about Ohio closing any of their rest areas, but with the state trying to save money every which way, one never knows. I had heard that Virginia was going to close the rest area south of Roanoke on I-81N, but I see that they have now decided to keep it open.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

A list

MrKenFL wrote:
rocknicehunter wrote:

Arizona is closing 13 of their 18 rest stops temporarily to save money.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/312406.php

They may close as soon as October 19th and won't reopen until at least June 2010.

Will be further researched and included in next update to Rest Areas Combined which should be in about 2 weeks.

sad

Mr. Ken, here's a list of them:

http://azdailysun.com/articles/2009/10/09/news/20091009_fron...

Interesting. From Flagstaff, the closest rest area to the south--and to the east and to the west--are included in the closures. And we have no rest areas to the north--if we did, they'd probably be closed, too.

Closed Rest Stop

Alabama has one closed also. It's the I-65 southbound rest stop at Clanton, Alabama. It's been closed for a couple of months. I don't know if they're going to re-open it or not. The northbound rest stop at the same location is still open.

McD works

I fill my kidneys with their coffee so that is where I empty them.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Just finished

I just finished putting these changes into Master file - will update file at POI Factory after the 19th.

--
MrKenFL- "Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." NUVI 260, Nuvi 1490LMT & Nuvi 2595LMT all with 2014.4 maps !

McWee-Wee you have to be kidding!

a_user wrote:
jimmykre wrote:

VA closed many of their rest areas this summer. I had to drive through the state in August on I-81. Fast Food joints off the exits make a pretty good alternate. Unfortunately, there are some pretty long stretches with no where to stop.

My wive and i like to take a lot of day trips on the weekends. Probably the 3 most important files I have on the Garmin are 1. Rest Area, 2. Sheetz, and 3. McDonalds. They all usually have clean restrooms.

As we are both "Seniors" and the kids have long ago moved out of the house we refer to Mickey D's as McWee-Wee because they are a potty stop.

Wait a sec, you said the kids moved out and your seniors, yet you use such language as McWee-Wee & potty stop. As an adult myself I don't get it, the two of you are talking like baby's. However McDonalds and Service/Mart stations are a great alternative to the closed rest areas and are clean.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

Georgia rest stops

Georgia has closed most of theirs.

I totally understand the

I totally understand the need to save money, but I wish they'd view rest stops as a necessity not a convenience. It reminds me why I don't like long drives!

hmm

rocknicehunter wrote:

Arizona is closing 13 of their 18 rest stops temporarily to save money.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/312406.php

They may close as soon as October 19th and won't reopen until at least June 2010.

But if you look where these are you will see there is other pull offs to get food, water, and bathrooms just down the road.... I could see if there was 50 or 100 miles but, there are towns close to these rest stops,,Sacaton rest area is between here and Tucson. Phx to Tucson is about 111 mile and you have Casa Grand, Picacho Valley, Eloy and several others before you get to Tucson ,, Not a big lose exept to the Indians selling stuff at that rest stop.

--
><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><- 4-Garmin Nuvi 760>>>> Owner: Sunrise Mechanical A/C & Heating,, Peoria, Arizona

Winter is prime time

gwapaval wrote:

Az trying to save some money until next driving season

The problem is in winter there are more of us there than in summer when even the natives leave. However money problems know no season. According to the news today, money is going to cause mighty problems for the Iowa schools.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

Commercial Rest Stops

ramcruzer wrote:

But if you look where these are you will see there is other pull offs to get food, water, and bathrooms just down the road....

It looks like some states (Utah, for example) are actually working with gas stations and convenience stores along the interstates to create "commercial rest stops". Although you can use the facilities in these commercial sites, I think people feel an obligation to buy something - even if it just a soft drink or snack. And while these commercial sites are clean and functional, they are not as restful as the public sites.

But when people demand tax cuts and increased efficiency, the government responds by eliminating services.

Increase in unsafe driving conditions?

I wonder if this will lead to an increase in unsafe driving conditions from tired truckers and motorists that use these public rest areas to get some much needed rest and to collect themselves before continuing their drives.

I understand the need for cutbacks during these tough times, but at what cost?

WI has been closing and

WI has been closing and ripping out their rest stops. Very few are left.