Moab Utah - Chicken Corners Trail
Raw file: c48_chicken_corners.gpx (3.52 KB)
Few OHV experiences can rival the fun of riding an ATV in Utah’s Moab backcountry. An endless variety of undulating and challenging terrain combined with spectacular scenery provide an unforgettable experience.
It’s easy to find your way around the small town of Moab. Main St (Hwy 191) runs north and south all the way through town. Center St and Main St, where Moab Information Center is located, marks the center of town. If you need lodging or camping, it is a good idea to call well in advance.
There are several places in Moab to rent ATV’s. Check www.discovermoab.com/autorental.htm for latest information or just drive down Main St. You should check Utah’s OHV Laws (http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/ohv) or call 800-648-7433.
Using your GPS for each trail
I have included Way Points for the trail. Also, in the description below, I have included complete instructions on the trail. I would print or copy the instructions off if you plan on using these Way Points.
Chicken Corners Trail
Highlights: A remote adventure to two dizzying high points above the Colorado River. See Thelma & Louise Point across river. Explore network of interconnecting, wind-carved caves at Catacomb Rock. A few steep sections and small ledges but still rated easy. The ledge across Chicken Corner, although quite wide, skirts along cliff edge and may be intimidating to anyone who fears heights.
Getting There: From the south side of Moab at the McDonald's Restaurant on Main Street, take Kane creek Road west. Bear left at first large fork and head south along the Colorado River. When pavement ends at 4.7 miles, turn right into parking lot just after cattle guard. Follow Directions for Hurrah Pass, continuing down the west side of pass to fork in bottom of canyon.
- Staging (mile 0) – From narrow canyon, bear left at fork where signs indicate private property to right. Right also goes to Jackson Hole.
- (miles 0.3) - Follow canyon to left, then turn right uphill after ledge.
- (miles 1.4) - Follow trail across flat, sand wash.
- (miles 1.8) - Stay right. Road to left is alternate route to Catacomb Rock.
- WP1 (miles 2.0) – Stay right. Road to left is main route to Catacomb Rock and Dripping Spring.
- (miles 2.5) – Continue straight where dead-end road goes right towards river.
- WP2 (miles 4.5) – Continue straight across rocky ravine and climb up other side. Left goes Through narrow, difficult canyon on way to Lockhart Basin.
- WP3 (miles 7.8) – Follow trail as it curves left along edge of Chicken Corners.
- WP4 (miles 9.3) – Continue straight across open area after Chicken Corners until trail heads downhill and ends. Turn around and return the way you came. Note hiking trail that continues around narrow point.