Moab Utah - Determination Towers Trail
Raw file: Moab Utah - Determination Towers Trail.csv (532 bytes)
Includes 10 locations in the following area:
- United States: UT
Few OHV experiences can rival the fun of riding an ATV in Utah’s Moab backcountry. An endless variety of undulating and challenging terrain combined with spectacular scenery provide an unforgettable experience.
It’s easy to find your way around the small town of Moab. Main St (Hwy 191) runs north and south all the way through town. Center St and Main St, where Moab Information Center is located, marks the center of town. If you need lodging or camping, it is a good idea to call well in advance.
There are several places in Moab to rent ATV’s. Check www.discovermoab.com/autorental.htm for latest information or just drive down Main St. You should check Utah’s OHV Laws (http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/ohv) or call 800-648-7433.
Using your GPS for each trail
I have included Way Points for the trail. Also, in the description below, I have included complete instructions on the trail. I would print or copy the instructions off if you plan on using these Way Points.
Determination Towers Trail
Highlights:This route serves as an introduction to a broad, scenic area with many fun roads and dramatic rock formations, including Monitor and Merrimac Buttes and Determination Towers. An exciting side trip to Tusher Tunnel includes twisting sand trails and undulating terrain. Stay on existing roads at all times. No cross-country travel allowded. This is moderate riding with some rock ledges, soft sand and steep climbs. The complex network of roads can be confusing.
Getting There: From Moab, drive north on Hwy 191 about 13 miles and turn left on Mill Canyon Road just after mile marker 141. Head west over railroad tracks and continue 0.7 miles to a broad intersection where Mill Canyon Road goes left to Cotter Mine Road. Staging is permitted in a wide area to the right of this intersection. (Ignore the first parking area on the right just after the railroad tracks.)
- Staging (mile 0) – Head south on Cotter Mine Road. Stay left on main road past several roads that branch to the right.
- WP1 (miles 2.4/0.0) – Bear right uphill on 7-Mile Road. Switchbacks become rockier at top.
- (miles 0.9) – Bear right at fork after rocky switchback.
- WP2 (miles 1.1) – Turn right, leaving 7-Mile Rim Trail.
- (miles 1.4) – Continue straight on best road at major crossroads. Road bends southwest and heads directly towards Merrimac Butte.
- (miles 2.4) – Bear right at Y.
- WP3 (miles 3.5) – Make a hard right at major 5-way intersection and head due north.
- WP4 (miles 4.4) – Turn left towards Determination Towers.
- (miles 4.7) – Stay right of towers and pass through right side of rock opening. Descend through sandy, undulating area. Stay right.
- (miles 5.9) – Stay right as trail drops into narrow wash.
- WP5 (miles 6.2) – Trail runs into Tusher Wash. Turn right and follow wide wash. It soon passes through a narrow, wet section.
- WP6 (miles 7.3/0.0) – To reach Tusher Tunnel, turn left uphill out of Tusher Wash on a steep trail. (Don’t be confused by 7-Mile sign.) Straight goes directly to Tusher Wash Road in 0.8 miles. Right goes to a fun network of roads, one of which goes to a remote overlook of Mill Canyon.
- (miles 1.2) – After a series of steep hills, bear left at fork as you come downhill. Right goes back to Tusher Wash across a sandy ridge.
- WP7 (miles 1.3) – Continue straight uphill where four roads converge at bottom of sandy wash. (You’ll return here later.)
- (miles 1.7) – Turn left at “T.” Right goes northeast to Tusher Wash Road.
- WP8 (miles 1.3) – Bear left at fork that is part of loop at base of Tusher Tunnel. Find sign and hike up steep path to tunnel entrance. After visiting tunnel, turn around and ride back to WP7. (Before doing this, you may wish to explore a fun area on the backside of tunnel. Follow road around rocks south of tunnel.)
- WP7 (miles 2.7/0.0) – After returning to WP7, bear left at bottom of wash and connect to sandy ridge that goes back to Tusher Wash.
- WP9 (miles 0.8/0.0) – Drop into Tusher Wash and turn left to connect with Tusher Wash Road. Turn right on Tusher Wash Road, which soon crosses a wide part of Tusher Wash.
- (miles 0.1) – Turn right uphill out of Tusher Wash. Important turn is easy to miss.
- Staging (mile 2.1) – Arrive back at start.