Can't change my avatar

 

I'm trying to change my avatar in the account settings section here at the Factory, but without success. Here's what I do and what happens.

In Account Settings:
1. Delete old avatar and click submit. Old avatar is (apparently) deleted.
2. Choose new avatar that sits on my pc. It's 80 x 60 pixels in dimension and 8.83 kb in size. I press submit.
3. Old avatar is baaack.

What am I doing wrong?

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

You need to totally refresh

You need to totally refresh the page. Control R or F5. It's just reloading from the cache.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Nope

phranc wrote:

You need to totally refresh the page. Control R or F5. It's just reloading from the cache.

1. In account settings in the picture area sits my old avatar. I delete the old avatar and click submit. Picture is gone (from the picture area of the account settings section).
2. I do a CTRL R and the old pic is still gone.
3. I point to the new pic that's on my pc and press submit.
4. Immediately the old pic is back.
5. I do a CTRL R and the old pic is still there.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

A thought

plunder wrote:
phranc wrote:

You need to totally refresh the page. Control R or F5. It's just reloading from the cache.

1. In account settings in the picture area sits my old avatar. I delete the old avatar and click submit. Picture is gone (from the picture area of the account settings section).
2. I do a CTRL R and the old pic is still gone.
3. I point to the new pic that's on my pc and press submit.
4. Immediately the old pic is back.
5. I do a CTRL R and the old pic is still there.

Phil

it could be that your ISP or some intermediate entity is saving the old page for a while before it refreshes the page. My suggestion is to do what you've done to delete the old and add the new, then wait a few hours or even a day and see if the revision appears.

I see

I see a room with what looks like a raccoons tail in the back corner.
They are so little that is hard to make out some of the avatars.
Is this the old or new?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Raccoon's tail?

mgarledge wrote:

I see a room with what looks like a raccoons tail in the back corner.
They are so little that is hard to make out some of the avatars.
Is this the old or new?

That raccoon's tail happens to be my then 7-month old Airedale Terrier puppy lying full length on her side with her face in her food dish. Cute as a button, I might add.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

I'll try that

CraigW wrote:

...it could be that your ISP or some intermediate entity is saving the old page for a while before it refreshes the page. My suggestion is to do what you've done to delete the old and add the new, then wait a few hours or even a day and see if the revision appears.

I'll try that and let you know.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Now

Now you have NO avatar.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

So that seems to be progress.

mgarledge wrote:

Now you have NO avatar.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Try signing out and clearing

Try signing out and clearing your browser cache. Close the browser and relaunch it. Sign back in and check it again.

I'm a little late to the

I'm a little late to the game .... if you're still having trouble ... delete the old avatar click submit and LOG OUT of poi-factory, while logged out clear your cache/cookies, then LOG IN to poi-factory and then upload/set the new avatar.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

That did it!

chewbacca wrote:

Try signing out and clearing your browser cache. Close the browser and relaunch it. Sign back in and check it again.

Chewie, I use chrome as my browser so I went into its settings and cleared the cached files and images, rebooted, and now I have my avatar. Thanks to all who had suggestions.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Oops! Clear the

Oops! Clear the cache,(browser history. That's the part I forgot.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Didn't clear history

phranc wrote:

Oops! Clear the cache,(browser history. That's the part I forgot.

I didn't clear my history. The only thing I cleared was the file and images cache and that resolved the problem. I'm a little surprised other folks haven't had this problem. Oh, well, all's well that end's well.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Avatar

Don't feel bad I need to get a refresher course every time I change mine smile

--
johnm405 660 & MSS&T

Setting

Don't know what browser you are using BUT

In Internet Explorer there is a setting to check for an updated page. But it doesn't check for new images if the image name remains the same.

In the upper right corner click the Gear
In the dropdown select "Internet Options".
In the pop-up panel select the "Settings" button.
In the next panel click "Every time I visit the webpage".
Note: this is not the default setting!
Click "OK"
Click "OK".

I don't think that would help you in this case, but it will assure that every webpage you visit will be the current page.

I think that Poi Factory assigns a "unique ID" to your avatar image and that the name does NOT change when you update the image (pages on the server do not need to be updated for your posts).

Flushing the cache so the browser had to load the new image solved the problem though, so all is well.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Yea

YEA. Glad you fixed it.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)