Garmin Large JCV File

 

Here's a suggestion, I think it would it be a good idea if POI Factory posted the Garmin large JCV files on the website just like the POI's files and Redlight camera files on a blue tab. A lot of us with older Garmin units still need this file and it would make it easy to find. What do you guys think?

<<Page 2

The mechanism...

... for limiting Red Light POI distribution could be used to limit who can download the large JCV.

Only active members would be accessing it.

--
Ted - Garmin Nuvi 1450 LM

Now I know

RangerXus wrote:

.
The forum article is "Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2018.20" and the link is
http://www.g===psurl.com/garmin-maps/241148-garmin-city-navi...?
RangerXus

Now I know how there are posters on a local KIJIJI site who are always offering Garmin, TomTom current maps for sale. North America and everywhere else.
This is where they get them !

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Driven Off? No. Bored.

thurst461 wrote:

I wonder what drove off Strephon_Alkhalikoi.

jackrabbit000 wrote:

Maybe Strephon has gone to the smartphone GPS and away from the dedicated Garmin GPS.

I haven't been driven off, though more than a few people on this site would probably be happy to see me gone. jackrabbit000 though hit upon why I haven't been around much: I switched to my Nexus 6 weeks ago, as it was more convenient for my needs. I keep my 1300 in the car however as a backup and still have the other GPS receivers I work on in the house.

After seven years, I got bored. I wasn't participating, and even making one post a week to keep my windmill was a bit much. So I logged off. I debated whether to log back in once I got my hands on the large JCV file. I've seen Juggernaut attempt to offer the file via Google Drive, only to have it shared on GPSUnderground. His concerns are totally valid, which is why I don't use my Google Drive account to provide the large JCV file to everyone.

Speaking of the large JCV file, here it is. It's in its usual two parts, requires WinRAR or 7-Zip, and requires any browser except Internet Explorer. It's not as convenient as Google Drive, but it avoids the risk of having the Google Drive account terminated.

Part 1
Part 2

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Thanks so much!

For checking in, and making the large JCV file available once again.

--
Ted - Garmin Nuvi 1450 LM

I don't understand

Juggernaut wrote:

I've just uploaded it to a Google Drive account of mine. 865.4 MB (865,447,975 bytes)

The link is: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BylrfaJDXtBvWTFTSURl...

I'm missing what's going on with Juggernaut's download. Apparently I was lucky to download it shortly after Juggernaut posted the url, but now others can't get to it. What are the issues? What am I missing?

Phil

--
"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."

Hey Strephon

Hey Strephon, good to see you back. And thanks for posting the jcv files as always.

Got the download

plunder wrote:

I'm missing what's going on with Juggernaut's download. Apparently I was lucky to download it shortly after Juggernaut posted the url, but now others can't get to it. What are the issues? What am I missing?

Phil

I got Juggernaut's download also. BUT, somebody posted his link on another forum so the link was disabled so it wouldn't jeopardize his Google Drive account. I would have done the same thing. You try and help people out here on PF and crap like that always seems to happen. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that it was someone from here, just someone.

This

thurst461 wrote:

... for limiting Red Light POI distribution could be used to limit who can download the large JCV.

Only active members would be accessing it.

...makes sense >>> flamesuit on! I better get out of this thread when I still can.

.

thurst461 wrote:

How much bandwidth would it actually take?

The file is almost a gigabyte, so it would add up quickly. The RLC and Speed cam files are puny by comparison.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Departure of Strephon_Alkhalikoi greatly exaggerated!

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

Driven Off? No. Bored.

The departure of Strephon_Alkhalikoi has been greatly exaggerated! It is good to hear from him again!

dobs108 razz

Thank You for the Full Screen JCV Links

Strephon_Alkhalikoi,

I am grateful that you take the time to make the full screen JCV file available to those of us who prefer the full screen images.

With each new map update, I try to use the split screen JCV's for a while. However, I just do not like the resulting split screen display.

Thank you.

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

Many thanks Strephon_Alkhalikoi!

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
thurst461 wrote:

I wonder what drove off Strephon_Alkhalikoi.

jackrabbit000 wrote:

Maybe Strephon has gone to the smartphone GPS and away from the dedicated Garmin GPS.

I haven't been driven off, though more than a few people on this site would probably be happy to see me gone. jackrabbit000 though hit upon why I haven't been around much: I switched to my Nexus 6 weeks ago, as it was more convenient for my needs. I keep my 1300 in the car however as a backup and still have the other GPS receivers I work on in the house.

After seven years, I got bored. I wasn't participating, and even making one post a week to keep my windmill was a bit much. So I logged off. I debated whether to log back in once I got my hands on the large JCV file. I've seen Juggernaut attempt to offer the file via Google Drive, only to have it shared on GPSUnderground. His concerns are totally valid, which is why I don't use my Google Drive account to provide the large JCV file to everyone.

Speaking of the large JCV file, here it is. It's in its usual two parts, requires WinRAR or 7-Zip, and requires any browser except Internet Explorer. It's not as convenient as Google Drive, but it avoids the risk of having the Google Drive account terminated.

Part 1
Part 2

Thank you very much Strephon_Alkhalikoi! smile

STAY WITH US

Thank you very much, Strephon.

We appreciate your efforts.

John

Good

As I traveled to LA and back from Phoenix I found that the Garmin showed the full screen interchanges earlier and longer than my dash GPS.

Ok....

I admit. I haven't worried about the JCV files for my 1490 in a long time and I've put up with the smaller file. I'm in the process of downloading it now, and I need a refresher class..

How do I install??

JCV.

Decompress (unzip) the file you download with WinRAR or equivalent, hook up your 1490 to the computer, make sure you have your folder settings on the computer right so you can expose the /.system folder, delete the old JCV files in folder /.system/JCV. If you have a SD card in the device, delete the old .JCV files in folder /Garmin/JCV. Copy the unzipped file you downloaded to the SD card into folder /Garmin/JCV.

Note that the large JCV file you copy must be for the same map version that you have installed on the nuvi.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Once again my hero

Thank you Strephon for the jcv file.

--
nüvi 3590LMT / ecoRouteHD

Shouldn't the file be backed up or marked .OLD

As a precaution till the new one is verified operational?

alandb wrote:

Decompress (unzip) the file you download with WinRAR or equivalent, hook up your 1490 to the computer, make sure you have your folder settings on the computer right so you can expose the /.system folder, delete the old JCV files in folder /.system/JCV. If you have a SD card in the device, delete the old .JCV files in folder /Garmin/JCV. Copy the unzipped file you downloaded to the SD card into folder /Garmin/JCV.

Note that the large JCV file you copy must be for the same map version that you have installed on the nuvi.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

rename or backup.

pwohlrab wrote:

Shouldn't the file be backed up or marked .OLD As a precaution till the new one is verified operational?

If space permits, that is one option. Otherwise you can back it up to your computer and delete it. The 14xx series is a 2 GB device so space is a premium.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

nice try though...

alandb wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:

Shouldn't the file be backed up or marked .OLD As a precaution till the new one is verified operational?

If space permits, that is one option. Otherwise you can back it up to your computer and delete it. The 14xx series is a 2 GB device so space is a premium.

Eh... it was a good idea. Tried renaming and installing, not enough room. Copied and deleted, still not enough room. I guess the file finally out grew my 1490. But thanks for the assistance.

Have you removed all the files that aren't needed?

Like help and keyboards.

Brad Bilger wrote:
alandb wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:

Shouldn't the file be backed up or marked .OLD As a precaution till the new one is verified operational?

If space permits, that is one option. Otherwise you can back it up to your computer and delete it. The 14xx series is a 2 GB device so space is a premium.

Eh... it was a good idea. Tried renaming and installing, not enough room. Copied and deleted, still not enough room. I guess the file finally out grew my 1490. But thanks for the assistance.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

SD card

Brad Bilger wrote:
alandb wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:

Shouldn't the file be backed up or marked .OLD As a precaution till the new one is verified operational?

If space permits, that is one option. Otherwise you can back it up to your computer and delete it. The 14xx series is a 2 GB device so space is a premium.

Eh... it was a good idea. Tried renaming and installing, not enough room. Copied and deleted, still not enough room. I guess the file finally out grew my 1490. But thanks for the assistance.

It will work from a SD card folder. Don't give up.

Yup.

CraigW is correct; that is why my instructions specifically said to copy the large JCV file into folder /Garmin/JCV of the SD CARD. In fact, because of the limited storage on a 14xx nuvi, your best approach is to get a 8 GB or larger micro SD card and install the map update there too. That way you can get the full NA map instead of just a reduced region.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Dangit...

I've done it before, but it just won't work this time. I don't know. Might have gotten a corrupt .JVC File. I've got a 16 gig SD card in my 1490, copied the JVC file to Garmin/JVC on the SD card but when I simulate a route, nothing appears. Reloaded 2018.2 again, started from scratch, still nothing showing up.
Not to worry... I've been without the Junction view for so long, I really don't need it. But I remember when my 1490 was new, I got beautiful images of the exits I needed including the buildings that were on the corner. But as long as this thing keeps running... sorta.. LOL. Reloading 2018.2 again just to make sure that it's all nice and happy again.

Thanks anyway though..

Did you delete the small JCV?

Brad Bilger wrote:

I've done it before, but it just won't work this time. I don't know. Might have gotten a corrupt .JVC File. I've got a 16 gig SD card in my 1490, copied the JVC file to Garmin/JVC on the SD card but when I simulate a route, nothing appears. Reloaded 2018.2 again, started from scratch, still nothing showing up.
Not to worry... I've been without the Junction view for so long, I really don't need it. But I remember when my 1490 was new, I got beautiful images of the exits I needed including the buildings that were on the corner. But as long as this thing keeps running... sorta.. LOL. Reloading 2018.2 again just to make sure that it's all nice and happy again.

Thanks anyway though..

Did you delete the small JCV on the nuvi after each installation of 2018.20? If so, I suggest you power down and reboot the nuvi, then let us know what's up.

PS: The folder name on the SD card should be Garmin/JCV, not Garmin/JVC. If that's not a typo, change the folder on the SD card.

JVC is a company that makes electronics wink

Grovel... Grovel...

I don't know if it was my fat fingers or not...
I redownloaded the JCV file.
Extracted it
Renamed the .JCV file in the Garmin to BAK
Created the Garmin/JCV Directory on the SD card
Copied the downloaded JCV file to Garmin/JCV on the SD Card
Powered the GPS off
Waited a bit, turned it back on.
Simulated a route and I got the most beautiful full screen views I've had in a long time.

I think that my problem was my dyslexia was kicking in again.
I thank you for your assistance. I suffer from a rare genetic defect known as TMBS. (Too Many Birthday Syndrome)

Again, thank you. LOL

Thank You!!!

I appreciate your effort, now I can enjoy my ancient 1450!!!

Idiots

Despite my taking the file down, I'm still getting requests from idiots to share it.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

@Juggernaut

If you're willing, when the next map update comes around, I'd be more than willing to host the file on my Mega account. It would save you the small amount of trouble creating a Mega account you may never use otherwise, and wouldn't compromise your Google Drive.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Thanks for the offer, Strephon

I may take you up on it. I opened a Dropbox account, and may try that, too.

I do find it interesting in that, none of those that DL'd the file seem to have created another portal to take the burden off others.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Dropbox

The issue with Dropbox is that they severely limit bandwidth. I've had little luck downloading things from other people's free Dropbox accounts.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Access to JCV File

Hello Juggernaut would it be possible to grant me access to the JCV file? I had google send permission. Thanks for all you do.

Large JCV for CN NA 2018.2

@karlgvaz ...you will find the download links for the 2018.20 large JCV file in this post: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/47417?page=1#comment-451276

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Link

Juggernaut wrote:

Despite my taking the file down, I'm still getting requests from idiots to share it.

Can you not request to the mods to have your Google Drive link removed from this thread?

.

I could, but it wouldn't matter. The leech's posted it to other sites, as well.

Screw 'em, I turned off the notifications.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK
<<Page 2