Garmin Express Stuck at Preparing Device

 

Hi guys, I'm trying to update my 2495T using Garmin Express 4.1.28.0 and it's stuck at Step 1 of 2 Preparing Device For Update for the last 2 hours. Can the GPS be disconnected and restart the update process all over again or will it screw something up?

**UPDATE** I just called Garmin at 1-800-800-1020 and the lady asked for the device serial number. She said that she sees the device online and it hasn't started the download yet and was early in the process. She thinks that there might be something downloading in the background, we checked and Windows 10 was downloading an update. I was told to close Garmin Express and restart the program. Worked, went past the prep stage and is now installing the update.

Not, or now?

jackrabbit000 wrote:

...Worked, went past the prep stage and is not installing the update.

Is not...or is now? cool

Typo

Thanks, it's a typo. It's supposed to be "now". I edited it in the original post.

!

jackrabbit000 wrote:

Thanks, it's a typo. It's supposed to be "now". I edited it in the original post.

I thought you sounded too happy for a not.

Another windows 10 horror story!

jackrabbit000 wrote:

...She thinks that there might be something downloading in the background, we checked and Windows 10 was downloading an update...

As we have discussed in other threads, Windows 10 is doing its thing in spite of what the user wants to do! shock rolleyes

dobs108

Alandb cloning method

That's exactly why I learned and now use this method, if anything goes wrong from the beginning up until the end with either Garmin Express, your computer or whatever else at least it won't brick the unit.

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

jackrabbit000 wrote: Hi

jackrabbit000 wrote:

Hi guys, I'm trying to update my 2495T using Garmin Express 4.1.28.0 and it's stuck at Step 1 of 2 Preparing Device For Update for the last 2 hours. Can the GPS be disconnected and restart the update process all over again or will it screw something up?

**UPDATE** I just called Garmin at 1-800-800-1020 and the lady asked for the device serial number. She said that she sees the device online and it hasn't started the download yet and was early in the process. She thinks that there might be something downloading in the background, we checked and Windows 10 was downloading an update. I was told to close Garmin Express and restart the program. Worked, went past the prep stage and is now installing the update.

Glad you figured it out. You just gave me more reasons for not (sic)upgrading to Win10...............

--
2639LMT, 67LM (X2) and 65LM

I had the same experience

I started garmin express and took long. I thought something was wrong, but after a while the message that the gps was updated.

I will stick with Windows 7 for a little longer

Chief_10Beers wrote:
jackrabbit000 wrote:

Hi guys, I'm trying to update my 2495T using Garmin Express 4.1.28.0 and it's stuck at Step 1 of 2 Preparing Device For Update for the last 2 hours. Can the GPS be disconnected and restart the update process all over again or will it screw something up?

**UPDATE** I just called Garmin at 1-800-800-1020 and the lady asked for the device serial number. She said that she sees the device online and it hasn't started the download yet and was early in the process. She thinks that there might be something downloading in the background, we checked and Windows 10 was downloading an update. I was told to close Garmin Express and restart the program. Worked, went past the prep stage and is now installing the update.

Glad you figured it out. You just gave me more reasons for not (sic)upgrading to Win10...............

I will stick with Windows 7 for a little longer.